Skip to main content

Believe Training Journal: A Review, or Shameless Plug?

Trolling through Pinterest one day, I came across a pin recommended for me:  "13 Running Books You Should Be Reading Right Now".  I pinned it to my Run Junkie board to read later.  I listen to a lot of audiobooks in the car on my dreadful commute to/from work, so while I don't feel like I have the time to sit down and read, if I can find any of them on audio, I'd put it on the wish list to download from the library.

*This post has been updated with affiliate links from Amazon.com.

When I actually had time to look through the article, I came across the Believe Training Journal. I used to love writing in my journal when I was a kid!  It wasn't a training journal back then - I wasn't athletic at all, it was just a bunch of angsty pre-teen stuff or details on whoever I had a crush on at the time.  Still, I know I could use some new tools, tricks, motivation, etc. to give my training a boost.  The summer has been super rough on my running.  Plus, my good friend (who also runs!) had a birthday coming up, so I ordered two!

The Amazon order just showed up last Friday, and I've only read through the first 20 pages, but so far I am really liking this.  I think it's just what I needed at just the right time.  So far, I have all of my races listed on the annual calendar.  I've started putting in the training runs I have this week.  I'm getting ready to chart out my goals, which for me includes running a sub-2 hour half marathon in January and a full marathon with said friend in February.  It'll be her first full!

Fast forward...  So I had to wait to post this until I gave my friend her birthday present.  :)  As I continue this post, I am now on my third week of the journal.  I can't say I'm doing anything drastically different than I would normally do - I keep track of all my mileage and training plans in a spreadsheet anyway (I am a dork by nature and trade).  But I'm also able to write out my goals, what worked for me during the week (and what didn't), and build excitement for races that I have coming up.  I actually look forward to writing in it every night, even if it is only a couple of lines.  It's at least encouraged me to try new things just so I have something worth writing down.

I'll be able to give a heartier review as the season goes on, but so far I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to give their training a little refresh.  How cool is it going to be when I run my 2 hour half and look back through my journal to see everything I've accomplished?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Blues

It occurred to me when I threw up my quick post about Phoenix Comicon that I never did update the blog with my last two attempts at the sub-2 hour half marathon. Attempt #3 was the 2017 Phoenix Women's Half Marathon in January, which I finished in 2:25 - even slower than the previous two tries.  Attempt #4 would have been the IMS/Sun Health Half Marathon in February, but I convinced some other lovely ladies to drop from the half and do the four-person marathon relay with me instead.  Our team name was Half Kidding.  Thankfully they all seemed pretty willing and I ended up having a pretty fun time. Since then, I've given up the goal of breaking the 2-hour half marathon, at least for a while.  It'll be too hot for me to set any records until winter, even assuming I wasn't completely discouraged by running altogether! In March I did the Vistancia Sprint Triathlon, to try and "step up" my triathlon game.  I was convinced late last year that I would be sign...

From the Back of the Pack

I went and did a semi-organized half marathon today.  I'm not sure what else to call it; maybe a well organized 13.1-mile training run with a random group of people.  The OI Marathon Club, a local after school program, put the notice out on Racetimers.com that runners were needed to join the group and support the kids, ultimately training for their first full marathon.  Their first marathon, IMS Arizona, happens to be the marathon I'm currently training for and my second full marathon* of all time.  I registered (although it was free to attend) thinking I could show my support for these kids and maybe meet a few new runners along the way.  At 10:52 pm, well after I went to bed for the evening (I had to leave at 6:45 am to go do this thing, after all), an email is sent with some of the race instructions: "My runners are very dedicated to their training, they have improved at every run. They should be able to run finish the half marathon around 1:55 to 2:10...