Skip to main content

Identity Crisis

It has come to my attention that whilst my van was running away at Ragnar Del Sol, my best friend and her sister-in-law (both in the other van) decided to set the goal of completing Ironman in 2016.

Apparently it is expected that I participate in these shenanigans with them.

A couple of weeks have passed and I find myself just as indecisive about the whole thing as when I first heard about it.  Why am I waffling?  I think there are good arguments to do it and good arguments to hold off, or to just be a great spectator.  It's been a weird feeling for me though.  I'm pretty sure if I committed to it, and was able to train for it, I could finish.  So, for the first time, I'm not sitting around worried that I just can't accomplish something, and that's a pretty great feeling.  I was also kinda-sorta worried that I might somehow lose my identity as a "runner".  I've been making some small but incremental progress this year and I don't want to lose my momentum.  But Competitor.com and Runner's World both seem to think I can become a better runner through cross-training in other sports, so that could be cool.

What I am concerned about, is having the time to train properly.  My work hours + commute are 12 hour days, 5 days a week right now.  I already know my employer will not give two hoots about my plans to do Ironman...  So that's the non-negotiable schedule I have to work with.  I already feel pressed for time and I'm training for a sprint triathlon!

I'm getting bummed out because I'm pretty sure I can't do it all.  As much as people say, "you can do anything you set your mind to!", there are still only 24 hours in a day.  I only briefly mentioned the idea to my husband, saying my BFF (not me) plans to train for Ironman 2016.  "That sounds awful!  Why would she want to do that?"   Hrmph.  That'll be an awkward conversation if it happens.  My husband's indifference towards my running events have been easy enough to deal with since I find myself to be a pretty self-sufficient runner, and I recognize he doesn't have to enjoy everything I enjoy.  But an Ironman, I picture myself needing some logistical help on race day.  Oh, and someone to drive me home.  :\

My sprint triathlon is at the end of the month and then I will at least have a sample size of two off of which I can base some of my future plans.  I plan to remain noncommittal until then...

http://www.calbuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/indecisive.jpg



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Want to Be When I Grow Up!

I think I have finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up.  In this case, "growing up" means finally figuring out what I should be doing in my career at age 32 (almost 33), post-college, post-MBA, and post-working-in-a-professional-capacity since about 2003. I want to be a race director.  A race director specifically for races you can do with your dog.   Yes, I am being serious. When I started training for my first 5k, I was training for a race I could do with Kano.  I would joke that if anything went wrong, at least he'd be there to drag me to the finish.  But honestly, it was one of the best things we've ever done together.  And there is a very strong possibility I might not have done it without him.  I just wasn't that into running at the time.  (Now I guess I kind of am.  I signed up for my first ultramarathon this summer - 6 hour race!  Not with Kano, though, unfortunately!)  Just like dogs that love the walk, Kan...

From the Back of the Pack

I went and did a semi-organized half marathon today.  I'm not sure what else to call it; maybe a well organized 13.1-mile training run with a random group of people.  The OI Marathon Club, a local after school program, put the notice out on Racetimers.com that runners were needed to join the group and support the kids, ultimately training for their first full marathon.  Their first marathon, IMS Arizona, happens to be the marathon I'm currently training for and my second full marathon* of all time.  I registered (although it was free to attend) thinking I could show my support for these kids and maybe meet a few new runners along the way.  At 10:52 pm, well after I went to bed for the evening (I had to leave at 6:45 am to go do this thing, after all), an email is sent with some of the race instructions: "My runners are very dedicated to their training, they have improved at every run. They should be able to run finish the half marathon around 1:55 to 2:10...