Skip to main content

Farewell Tour

The Vistancia Sprint Triathlon was last Sunday.

I wouldn't describe it as my most shining moment.  Nothing tragic happened, but nothing felt like it was going right, either.

I thought about going through and describing each moment of the race, but eventually decided against it.  To sum it up, I came in last in my age division on the swim and the bike portions; 3rd from last on the run.

Now, I knew well in advance that I wasn't going to win it all, I just wanted to do better than I had in my previous sprint triathlon.  I think I probably could have.  I ended up stopping to attempt to help a friend who had a flat tire on the bike portion of the race.  I wouldn't say I actually helped anything, since I didn't really know how to change a flat tire, but I had seen it done before...  Thought maybe all of that observation would be effective...  Although I don't think it was.  Still, I think his triathlon goals are much bigger than mine, and I guess I didn't see a need to not help just to get me a better time, if that makes any sense. 

I made the comment to friends after the race that the phrase that came to mind was, "Stacey's Farewell Tour."  I just didn't really enjoy it.  I can't point to anything specifically awful about the experience, but I felt like that was the sign I needed.  Ironman 2016 is not in my future.  I'm not opposed to doing another sprint triathlon someday, but I seem to be lacking the focus that it takes to get my [swimming and biking] abilities to the next level. 

Let's be clear:  That doesn't mean Ironman 20XX isn't in my future.  I'm actually quite curious to see how Mike Reilly pronounces my name at the finish line.  But, I think it will have to wait just a wee bit longer than 19 months.  That bike, that long, awful bike part is so boring!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Blues

It occurred to me when I threw up my quick post about Phoenix Comicon that I never did update the blog with my last two attempts at the sub-2 hour half marathon. Attempt #3 was the 2017 Phoenix Women's Half Marathon in January, which I finished in 2:25 - even slower than the previous two tries.  Attempt #4 would have been the IMS/Sun Health Half Marathon in February, but I convinced some other lovely ladies to drop from the half and do the four-person marathon relay with me instead.  Our team name was Half Kidding.  Thankfully they all seemed pretty willing and I ended up having a pretty fun time. Since then, I've given up the goal of breaking the 2-hour half marathon, at least for a while.  It'll be too hot for me to set any records until winter, even assuming I wasn't completely discouraged by running altogether! In March I did the Vistancia Sprint Triathlon, to try and "step up" my triathlon game.  I was convinced late last year that I would be sign...

What I Want to Be When I Grow Up!

I think I have finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up.  In this case, "growing up" means finally figuring out what I should be doing in my career at age 32 (almost 33), post-college, post-MBA, and post-working-in-a-professional-capacity since about 2003. I want to be a race director.  A race director specifically for races you can do with your dog.   Yes, I am being serious. When I started training for my first 5k, I was training for a race I could do with Kano.  I would joke that if anything went wrong, at least he'd be there to drag me to the finish.  But honestly, it was one of the best things we've ever done together.  And there is a very strong possibility I might not have done it without him.  I just wasn't that into running at the time.  (Now I guess I kind of am.  I signed up for my first ultramarathon this summer - 6 hour race!  Not with Kano, though, unfortunately!)  Just like dogs that love the walk, Kan...