Skip to main content

Quarantined

I'm stuck at home recovering from the flu (so I might as well write).  Yes, the full-blown flu.  I came down with it two days ago after my husband brought it home two days before that.  I thought I was going to skate by easy - I did get a flu shot, after all - but no.  It seems a flu shot doesn't keep you from getting the flu, at least not this year.  I even had that crazy test done where they put a swab up your nose and touch your brain, which came back positive.  So the $100 I earned in my "medical reimbursement account" for getting a flu shot went straight to paying for the Tamiflu prescription I'm on to get rid of the flu.  *sigh*

I'm having a helluva time staying positive through this.  I am a little more than 2 weeks away from my next full marathon, and although I'm supposed to be tapering, I'm also still supposed to be, y'know, running a little bit.  I haven't ran in 4 days.  It'll probably be a week before I can get out there again.  I was in the midst of a plank challenge.  I'm behind on preparing my taxes, and balancing the checkbook, and a multitude of things around the house...  WHY ME?!?

So, I have no real takeaways from this post for you other than: 1) don't believe the media when they tell you to rush out and get a flu shot, it is no guarantee you will get away from it; and 2) I'm really just kind of bored.  I'm hoping with the training I've put in that I can bounce back for my next race, but to be honest I'm a little worried.  Hoping it's all just in my head.

Comments

  1. I just wanted to follow up with an article I found on Runner's World, "How to Get Back on Track After the Flu": http://www.runnersworld.com/health/how-get-back-track-after-flu#. While maybe not the exact answer I was hoping for, it means I can get out there again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

From the Back of the Pack

I went and did a semi-organized half marathon today.  I'm not sure what else to call it; maybe a well organized 13.1-mile training run with a random group of people.  The OI Marathon Club, a local after school program, put the notice out on Racetimers.com that runners were needed to join the group and support the kids, ultimately training for their first full marathon.  Their first marathon, IMS Arizona, happens to be the marathon I'm currently training for and my second full marathon* of all time.  I registered (although it was free to attend) thinking I could show my support for these kids and maybe meet a few new runners along the way.  At 10:52 pm, well after I went to bed for the evening (I had to leave at 6:45 am to go do this thing, after all), an email is sent with some of the race instructions: "My runners are very dedicated to their training, they have improved at every run. They should be able to run finish the half marathon around 1:55 to 2:10...

What I Want to Be When I Grow Up!

I think I have finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up.  In this case, "growing up" means finally figuring out what I should be doing in my career at age 32 (almost 33), post-college, post-MBA, and post-working-in-a-professional-capacity since about 2003. I want to be a race director.  A race director specifically for races you can do with your dog.   Yes, I am being serious. When I started training for my first 5k, I was training for a race I could do with Kano.  I would joke that if anything went wrong, at least he'd be there to drag me to the finish.  But honestly, it was one of the best things we've ever done together.  And there is a very strong possibility I might not have done it without him.  I just wasn't that into running at the time.  (Now I guess I kind of am.  I signed up for my first ultramarathon this summer - 6 hour race!  Not with Kano, though, unfortunately!)  Just like dogs that love the walk, Kan...