Skip to main content

Treadmill Wars Versus Mycroft Holmes

My top three obsessions in life at the moment are (in order of importance):

  1. Training to run a half marathon in under 2 hours.
  2. Sherlock.
  3. Training for my first sprint triathlon.
Which is an interesting order, because what will happen is (in chronological order):
  1. I'll run out of Sherlock to watch.
  2. My first sprint triathlon is in October.
  3. My next half marathon is in November.
Today was the first tempo/pace related run of the training plan, and the easiest way I thought I could accomplish this was to run it at home, after work, on the treadmill.  The plan called for 8 miles:  2 slow miles, 4 miles at an 8:50-9:10 pace, and 2 slow cool down miles.  Running on the treadmill can be pretty daunting, so what to do to pass the time?  Watch Sherlock, Season 3, Episode 2 during my run.

What a great episode.  Dr. John Watson is getting married!  Sherlock is the best man!  I have 2 miles under my belt, then 3 miles, then 3.3 miles...  and I had to stop.  A 9:10 pace for me is ridiculous.  But I catch my breath, drink some water for a minute or two, and start again.  I'm back into it for another half mile or so, and I had to stop.  Ugh, I'm going to have to do this for like 13.1 miles all at once to get under 2 hours?!  Maybe the 2 hour half isn't for me.

But, I still have more Sherlock to watch, at least for the time being.  I press on.  Shortly thereafter, I see Mycroft on the treadmill.   

Yeah!  I'm on the treadmill.  Mycroft is on the treadmill.  I'm cool.  We're cool.  We both like running!  But...  he looks like he's moving a lot slower than I am.  And he has better legs than me.  Damn you, Mycroft.  


And who does THAT?  A dismount and he sticks the landing?  I can feel my blood pressure going through the roof, so I stop again.  Know what happens when I stop the treadmill?  Not a graceful, gymnastics-style landing.  Butters shows up.


All right, Mycroft.  You win that one.  During the episode, I probably stopped 4 or 5 more times during the 4 mile insanity portion.  I know I won't want to do that on race day.  But, I got it done, and there's still plenty of more ground to cover between now and then.

I'm not sure what I'll do when I run out of Sherlock, though.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Blues

It occurred to me when I threw up my quick post about Phoenix Comicon that I never did update the blog with my last two attempts at the sub-2 hour half marathon. Attempt #3 was the 2017 Phoenix Women's Half Marathon in January, which I finished in 2:25 - even slower than the previous two tries.  Attempt #4 would have been the IMS/Sun Health Half Marathon in February, but I convinced some other lovely ladies to drop from the half and do the four-person marathon relay with me instead.  Our team name was Half Kidding.  Thankfully they all seemed pretty willing and I ended up having a pretty fun time. Since then, I've given up the goal of breaking the 2-hour half marathon, at least for a while.  It'll be too hot for me to set any records until winter, even assuming I wasn't completely discouraged by running altogether! In March I did the Vistancia Sprint Triathlon, to try and "step up" my triathlon game.  I was convinced late last year that I would be sign...

From the Back of the Pack

I went and did a semi-organized half marathon today.  I'm not sure what else to call it; maybe a well organized 13.1-mile training run with a random group of people.  The OI Marathon Club, a local after school program, put the notice out on Racetimers.com that runners were needed to join the group and support the kids, ultimately training for their first full marathon.  Their first marathon, IMS Arizona, happens to be the marathon I'm currently training for and my second full marathon* of all time.  I registered (although it was free to attend) thinking I could show my support for these kids and maybe meet a few new runners along the way.  At 10:52 pm, well after I went to bed for the evening (I had to leave at 6:45 am to go do this thing, after all), an email is sent with some of the race instructions: "My runners are very dedicated to their training, they have improved at every run. They should be able to run finish the half marathon around 1:55 to 2:10...