Skip to main content

My Health Journey

Sheesh, it's been months since I wrote last.  I'm trying to remember exactly where I left off.

My previous post was "How Not to Train for a 50k".  And, shockingly, I did not do a 50k last year.  I didn't even do the 25k, but I did do the 10 mile version of McDowell Mountain Frenzy.  It started out kind of rough, but I pushed through long enough to finish.  I kind of enjoyed it.

Not long after, I started working with a functional medicine doctor to try and determine what exactly I was dealing with health-wise.  I took the entire month of December off from running because I wasn't sure what my body really needed to heal and/or lose a few pounds.

That is the cliffnotes version to get us to today.  I have worms.  Ugh.  

I actually have a bunch of other stuff wrong with me.  My gut is a mess, my microbiome is all out of whack, and there's all sorts of bacterial presence in my system.  My thyroid doesn't work like it's supposed to, but that's nothing new.  I am deficient in a few things like Vitamin D and Iron.  But I think the parasites, ol' Ancylostoma duodenale, surprised me the most.  

Tonight I'll start a parasite cleanse and attempt to heal my gut so I can start to feel more normal again.  I don't actually feel too bad, meaning that I'm not in pain or anything like that.  Some people with autoimmune diseases do have to deal with those symptoms and I am thankful I'm not one of them, yet.  So it's time to try and fix all of this nonsense, hopefully get some of the weight off, and start running again like a normal person.  (Oh wait, the running part is not normal either?)


Thanks, CDC.  Sigh.
https://www.cdc.gov/dpdx/hookworm/index.html

I will try not to take 5 months to compose the next post.  Provided I'm more punctual, I will give the details about my cleanse protocol.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Want to Be When I Grow Up!

I think I have finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up.  In this case, "growing up" means finally figuring out what I should be doing in my career at age 32 (almost 33), post-college, post-MBA, and post-working-in-a-professional-capacity since about 2003. I want to be a race director.  A race director specifically for races you can do with your dog.   Yes, I am being serious. When I started training for my first 5k, I was training for a race I could do with Kano.  I would joke that if anything went wrong, at least he'd be there to drag me to the finish.  But honestly, it was one of the best things we've ever done together.  And there is a very strong possibility I might not have done it without him.  I just wasn't that into running at the time.  (Now I guess I kind of am.  I signed up for my first ultramarathon this summer - 6 hour race!  Not with Kano, though, unfortunately!)  Just like dogs that love the walk, Kano knew what it meant if I starte

Quarantined

I'm stuck at home recovering from the flu (so I might as well write).  Yes, the full-blown flu.  I came down with it two days ago after my husband brought it home two days before that.  I thought I was going to skate by easy - I did get a flu shot, after all - but no.  It seems a flu shot doesn't keep you from getting the flu, at least not this year.  I even had that crazy test done where they put a swab up your nose and touch your brain, which came back positive.  So the $100 I earned in my "medical reimbursement account" for getting a flu shot went straight to paying for the Tamiflu prescription I'm on to get rid of the flu.  *sigh* I'm having a helluva time staying positive through this.  I am a little more than 2 weeks away from my next full marathon, and although I'm supposed to be tapering, I'm also still supposed to be, y'know, running a little bit.  I haven't ran in 4 days.  It'll probably be a week before I can get out there aga