Skip to main content

The 2 Hour Half Marathon: 2 Attempts, 2 Fails, 2 More Tries

I looked back at my blog at one point and noticed I started talking about this stupid goal of a (sub) 2 hour half marathon back in like 2014.  Very shortly after that I set a new personal record at IMS of 2:07:10.  People I talked to  about it in real life seemed to think this was an achievable goal for me.  But so far this season, I’ve ran 2 half marathons and didn’t come close – 2:10 in November and 2:18 last weekend.  This is starting to not be fun anymore.

I hired an online coach this year thinking that was the missing piece to my training, to get me where I wanted to be.  In my mind, I obviously had some level of fitness but just needed to be guided better instead of piecing together training  plans I found on the internet.  I worked with her from February 2016 until my first attempt in November, the Phoenix 10k/Half Marathon event.  She never sent me anything with pace goals but simply listed the workouts as “easy” runs or “moderate” runs and I  had no idea what that really meant to me.  Some days "easy" felt like 10 minute miles and some days I was closer to 11.  I expressed my concerns in the weeks leading up to the race, that I wasn’t anywhere near what I needed pace-wise to finish in 2 hours.  So she adjusted my training to include 2 tempo runs where the goal was a 9:00  pace.  :\  Good, but too late in the game.  I thought I was very clear about what I was trying to achieve at the beginning of our engagement, and became frustrated with her when I had to remind her several times over several months about when my half marathon  was, what my time goal was, and what my previous PR was…  Lesson learned:  An online coach may not be the best for me, and/or I didn’t figure out our communication plan soon enough to be able to get some good use out of her training.  Or, maybe there just isn’t a plan that can help me!  It’s not immediately clear to me if I was doing better or worse under her guidance.  At the race, I PRed my 5k and 10k times but severely pooped out during the last half of the race.  In any case, I didn’t think I was getting  the amount of attention for the price I was paying, and I broke up with her.

Since Attempt #1, I switched to using this training plan I found online.  I jumped in at week 8, since I had about 4 weeks between half marathon gigs, and made my second attempt at the Buckeye Half Marathon.  The race didn’t start until  9am, which felt late to me, and there was virtually no shade on the course so we’d be in full sun the whole time.  I guess it shouldn’t matter but, I’m starting to think I’m one of those runners that has to have completely perfect conditions to reach a time  goal, and that day wasn’t going to be it.  Apparently the low 50-ish temps at start time aren’t quite cool enough!  I did okay during the first half of the race, my pace was < 9:30, but it got hot and I had had enough sun and kind of mentally pooped out around mile 8.  Finishing after 11am for a half marathon kind of stinks, period.

Then I took Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday completely off from running.  I’m back on the wagon as of Wednesday.  I’m still on the Women’s Running training plan, but starting at week 6, and I upped the mileage each week by about 10% of what it calls for.  I also hope to include cross training on all of the “Rest/XT” days AND on the easy run days, whereas previously I was pretty adamant about either run OR cross train but never both on the same day.  We’ll see if it helps.  I’ll know in about 6 weeks, at the Phoenix Women's Half Marathon.   If there's anyone out there with suggestions, send them my way.  If not, there’s always IMS (now they call it Sun Health I think) where I PRed before – maybe I can get lucky!  And if not that, then too bad – no more time goals!  This is driving me bananas!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Want to Be When I Grow Up!

I think I have finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up.  In this case, "growing up" means finally figuring out what I should be doing in my career at age 32 (almost 33), post-college, post-MBA, and post-working-in-a-professional-capacity since about 2003. I want to be a race director.  A race director specifically for races you can do with your dog.   Yes, I am being serious. When I started training for my first 5k, I was training for a race I could do with Kano.  I would joke that if anything went wrong, at least he'd be there to drag me to the finish.  But honestly, it was one of the best things we've ever done together.  And there is a very strong possibility I might not have done it without him.  I just wasn't that into running at the time.  (Now I guess I kind of am.  I signed up for my first ultramarathon this summer - 6 hour race!  Not with Kano, though, unfortunately!)  Just like dogs that love the walk, Kano knew what it meant if I starte

Quarantined

I'm stuck at home recovering from the flu (so I might as well write).  Yes, the full-blown flu.  I came down with it two days ago after my husband brought it home two days before that.  I thought I was going to skate by easy - I did get a flu shot, after all - but no.  It seems a flu shot doesn't keep you from getting the flu, at least not this year.  I even had that crazy test done where they put a swab up your nose and touch your brain, which came back positive.  So the $100 I earned in my "medical reimbursement account" for getting a flu shot went straight to paying for the Tamiflu prescription I'm on to get rid of the flu.  *sigh* I'm having a helluva time staying positive through this.  I am a little more than 2 weeks away from my next full marathon, and although I'm supposed to be tapering, I'm also still supposed to be, y'know, running a little bit.  I haven't ran in 4 days.  It'll probably be a week before I can get out there aga