Skip to main content

Call for Comeback Stories

The summer is "running me ragged" this year, pun intended.  While I've only been running for less than 4 years now, I've had some summer runs in that time period that just didn't feel like such a struggle.  This year, for whatever reason, is quite different.

I live in a suburb of Phoenix, so it's not exactly my best running weather this time of year.  I don't mind the heat, but my so-called runs are turning into longer and longer walks.  I don't know if I'm actually accomplishing anything by trying to train in these conditions.

Some other things I've been pushing through this year as compared to previous years, are:

1.  The lack of a dedicated training partner.  Most of my previous partners in crime are doing the triathlon thing, which is great for them, but isn't something I want to do, at least not at the present moment.  They're not running as many days as I am, and for good reason.  I've lost some other training partners due to injury; another best friend is very reliable but we just have different running goals.  I haven't been to the running club I am/was a part of in probably close to a year, because I just don't get off of work early enough anymore to make it on time.  The majority of my runs this year have been solo.  Since no one is waiting on me, I tend to sleep in, making the heat harder on my training.

2.  I'm getting old.  I keep hoping that the more I run, the better and faster I'll get; but I don't know if it really works that way.  I seem to gain about 5 lbs every year that I age that I can't seem to shed despite counting calories and running more than I ever have.  (What's up with that, anyway?)  I feel like it's weighing me down, quite literally.  But I'm not sure how to fit even more activity/calorie burning into my schedule.

3.  Speaking of schedule, it just sucks.  I'm out the door at 6am for an hour commute, work from 7-5, and home a little after 6pm, assuming I don't have to run any errands.  I am not typically able to get away from my desk during the lunch hour for a workout.  I know it doesn't sound hectic, but it seems like all of my friends and potential workout partners are getting off of work so much earlier, or don't have to commute as long, and so they're getting their workouts in and done before I even get home.  Somebody call me a waambulance!  :(

So now that I'm done venting, I was hoping I could get some inspiration.  Please share with me your own comeback story.  Put me in my place.  Let me know that it's okay to have a lousy running season if I have a life dedicated to running.  Tell me about the goals you were able to achieve despite some setbacks.  I have some pretty lofty goals for winter (a sub-2 hour half marathon in January, I hope?!), but my current pace and ability are so far away right now.  I want to know it is worth sticking it out.  Thanks in advance.  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Want to Be When I Grow Up!

I think I have finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up.  In this case, "growing up" means finally figuring out what I should be doing in my career at age 32 (almost 33), post-college, post-MBA, and post-working-in-a-professional-capacity since about 2003. I want to be a race director.  A race director specifically for races you can do with your dog.   Yes, I am being serious. When I started training for my first 5k, I was training for a race I could do with Kano.  I would joke that if anything went wrong, at least he'd be there to drag me to the finish.  But honestly, it was one of the best things we've ever done together.  And there is a very strong possibility I might not have done it without him.  I just wasn't that into running at the time.  (Now I guess I kind of am.  I signed up for my first ultramarathon this summer - 6 hour race!  Not with Kano, though, unfortunately!)  Just like dogs that love the walk, Kano knew what it meant if I starte

Quarantined

I'm stuck at home recovering from the flu (so I might as well write).  Yes, the full-blown flu.  I came down with it two days ago after my husband brought it home two days before that.  I thought I was going to skate by easy - I did get a flu shot, after all - but no.  It seems a flu shot doesn't keep you from getting the flu, at least not this year.  I even had that crazy test done where they put a swab up your nose and touch your brain, which came back positive.  So the $100 I earned in my "medical reimbursement account" for getting a flu shot went straight to paying for the Tamiflu prescription I'm on to get rid of the flu.  *sigh* I'm having a helluva time staying positive through this.  I am a little more than 2 weeks away from my next full marathon, and although I'm supposed to be tapering, I'm also still supposed to be, y'know, running a little bit.  I haven't ran in 4 days.  It'll probably be a week before I can get out there aga