Skip to main content

Treadmill Wars Versus Mycroft Holmes

My top three obsessions in life at the moment are (in order of importance):

  1. Training to run a half marathon in under 2 hours.
  2. Sherlock.
  3. Training for my first sprint triathlon.
Which is an interesting order, because what will happen is (in chronological order):
  1. I'll run out of Sherlock to watch.
  2. My first sprint triathlon is in October.
  3. My next half marathon is in November.
Today was the first tempo/pace related run of the training plan, and the easiest way I thought I could accomplish this was to run it at home, after work, on the treadmill.  The plan called for 8 miles:  2 slow miles, 4 miles at an 8:50-9:10 pace, and 2 slow cool down miles.  Running on the treadmill can be pretty daunting, so what to do to pass the time?  Watch Sherlock, Season 3, Episode 2 during my run.

What a great episode.  Dr. John Watson is getting married!  Sherlock is the best man!  I have 2 miles under my belt, then 3 miles, then 3.3 miles...  and I had to stop.  A 9:10 pace for me is ridiculous.  But I catch my breath, drink some water for a minute or two, and start again.  I'm back into it for another half mile or so, and I had to stop.  Ugh, I'm going to have to do this for like 13.1 miles all at once to get under 2 hours?!  Maybe the 2 hour half isn't for me.

But, I still have more Sherlock to watch, at least for the time being.  I press on.  Shortly thereafter, I see Mycroft on the treadmill.   

Yeah!  I'm on the treadmill.  Mycroft is on the treadmill.  I'm cool.  We're cool.  We both like running!  But...  he looks like he's moving a lot slower than I am.  And he has better legs than me.  Damn you, Mycroft.  


And who does THAT?  A dismount and he sticks the landing?  I can feel my blood pressure going through the roof, so I stop again.  Know what happens when I stop the treadmill?  Not a graceful, gymnastics-style landing.  Butters shows up.


All right, Mycroft.  You win that one.  During the episode, I probably stopped 4 or 5 more times during the 4 mile insanity portion.  I know I won't want to do that on race day.  But, I got it done, and there's still plenty of more ground to cover between now and then.

I'm not sure what I'll do when I run out of Sherlock, though.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Want to Be When I Grow Up!

I think I have finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up.  In this case, "growing up" means finally figuring out what I should be doing in my career at age 32 (almost 33), post-college, post-MBA, and post-working-in-a-professional-capacity since about 2003. I want to be a race director.  A race director specifically for races you can do with your dog.   Yes, I am being serious. When I started training for my first 5k, I was training for a race I could do with Kano.  I would joke that if anything went wrong, at least he'd be there to drag me to the finish.  But honestly, it was one of the best things we've ever done together.  And there is a very strong possibility I might not have done it without him.  I just wasn't that into running at the time.  (Now I guess I kind of am.  I signed up for my first ultramarathon this summer - 6 hour race!  Not with Kano, though, unfortunately!)  Just like dogs that love the walk, Kano knew what it meant if I starte

Quarantined

I'm stuck at home recovering from the flu (so I might as well write).  Yes, the full-blown flu.  I came down with it two days ago after my husband brought it home two days before that.  I thought I was going to skate by easy - I did get a flu shot, after all - but no.  It seems a flu shot doesn't keep you from getting the flu, at least not this year.  I even had that crazy test done where they put a swab up your nose and touch your brain, which came back positive.  So the $100 I earned in my "medical reimbursement account" for getting a flu shot went straight to paying for the Tamiflu prescription I'm on to get rid of the flu.  *sigh* I'm having a helluva time staying positive through this.  I am a little more than 2 weeks away from my next full marathon, and although I'm supposed to be tapering, I'm also still supposed to be, y'know, running a little bit.  I haven't ran in 4 days.  It'll probably be a week before I can get out there aga