Skip to main content

From the Back of the Pack

I went and did a semi-organized half marathon today.  I'm not sure what else to call it; maybe a well organized 13.1-mile training run with a random group of people.  The OI Marathon Club, a local after school program, put the notice out on Racetimers.com that runners were needed to join the group and support the kids, ultimately training for their first full marathon.  Their first marathon, IMS Arizona, happens to be the marathon I'm currently training for and my second full marathon* of all time.  I registered (although it was free to attend) thinking I could show my support for these kids and maybe meet a few new runners along the way. 

At 10:52 pm, well after I went to bed for the evening (I had to leave at 6:45 am to go do this thing, after all), an email is sent with some of the race instructions:

"My runners are very dedicated to their training, they have improved at every run. They should be able to run finish the half marathon around 1:55 to 2:10, (Between 8:40 and 9:00 per mile). Please push them on the last 3 miles."

Wow...  Um...  So I've been running for a little over 2 years now.  In that time I've done 3 half marathons and my fastest EVER I paced at 10:09.  Needless to say I won't be pushing anyone on the last 3 miles because I'll be slow and alone.  I'm reading this information on my phone as I'm getting ready to leave the house in the morning.  But, I figured there would be enough people of varying abilities that I wouldn't be completely left behind in South Mountain Regional Park (which I had never been to before).

I get to the park and am hanging out with a very small group of runners...  There were probably 30 of us total.  "Oh, I'm going to take it at a nice easy 9 minute pace" some guy says.  Somebody else chimes in with "I'll be at about 10."

*mental eye roll*  Well, okay, somebody has to be at the back of the pack!

We set out at 8:05 am on whatever the main road is through South Mountain.  I think it's actually Central Avenue up to a point, then turns into San Juan Rd.  A brutal out-and-back course full of rolling hills and a nice climb that felt completely vertical near the turnaround point.  It was pretty with the mountains all around us.  I had lots of time to appreciate it since I was running by myself - I couldn't see anyone in front of me or behind me - after about 2-3 miles.  Living in Phoenix all my life, I had never been to South Mountain before, so that was fun to experience.

We were pretty spread out, but the fastest guys didn't pass me on the way back until I was around mile 5.5, and there were 4-5 people behind me.  Yeah, it was another back of the pack day for me, but I knew I wouldn't be setting any PRs today.  Not with those hills.  HOLY HILLS.  With about the last 5k to go, the couple from the turnaround aid station rolled up in their Jeep.

"Do you want another water bottle to take with you?"

"Oh, no thank you, I'm good."  I already had one in my hand and was mostly full in my nerdy water belt.

"Do you want a ride back to the finish?"

"Oh, no thank you.  I can finish.  It's just going to take me a lot longer."  Ugh, what the heck?  I'm thinking in my head, If a 9 minute mile was a requirement, you should've said so on your website!  Then you wouldn't be waiting for me!  But instead I just nervously laughed until they drove away.

It wasn't a true timed race but they had a clock running at the start/finish line.  According to that clock I finished in 2:25:30.  Still not even my worst half marathon time.  I was more surprised they hadn't all finished and packed up the place before I got back to my car, but the coach from the club was there to tell me I did a good job.  Thanks.  [another nervous laugh]

Word on the street is that another 18-mile training run is planned for January 25th.  It would be good training for me, there's no hills around my house where I normally train, and someone has to bring up the rear!  But for now, running this week is done.  My ego wants to ride a bike tomorrow.

*My first full marathon was the OC Marathon in May of 2013.  I wasn't actively blogging then, but my friend/partner in crime Lauren was, and you can read that account here. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Want to Be When I Grow Up!

I think I have finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up.  In this case, "growing up" means finally figuring out what I should be doing in my career at age 32 (almost 33), post-college, post-MBA, and post-working-in-a-professional-capacity since about 2003. I want to be a race director.  A race director specifically for races you can do with your dog.   Yes, I am being serious. When I started training for my first 5k, I was training for a race I could do with Kano.  I would joke that if anything went wrong, at least he'd be there to drag me to the finish.  But honestly, it was one of the best things we've ever done together.  And there is a very strong possibility I might not have done it without him.  I just wasn't that into running at the time.  (Now I guess I kind of am.  I signed up for my first ultramarathon this summer - 6 hour race!  Not with Kano, though, unfortunately!)  Just like dogs that love the walk, Kano knew what it meant if I starte

Quarantined

I'm stuck at home recovering from the flu (so I might as well write).  Yes, the full-blown flu.  I came down with it two days ago after my husband brought it home two days before that.  I thought I was going to skate by easy - I did get a flu shot, after all - but no.  It seems a flu shot doesn't keep you from getting the flu, at least not this year.  I even had that crazy test done where they put a swab up your nose and touch your brain, which came back positive.  So the $100 I earned in my "medical reimbursement account" for getting a flu shot went straight to paying for the Tamiflu prescription I'm on to get rid of the flu.  *sigh* I'm having a helluva time staying positive through this.  I am a little more than 2 weeks away from my next full marathon, and although I'm supposed to be tapering, I'm also still supposed to be, y'know, running a little bit.  I haven't ran in 4 days.  It'll probably be a week before I can get out there aga